Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: bidi [was: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes:18Feb 2003]

Paul Grosso wrote:

> 2.  There is no markup delimiting the region that needs to change direction.
>     Instead, the character data includes some Unicode code-points that are
>     used to imply direction changing.
>
>     In this case, what can we do?  It's not a markup question any more.
>     It's a question of "do magic because you found a magic byte combination
>     in my character stream."  (Can you tell what I think of this?)  But I
>     really do not see how this could possibly be something we could address
>     via the DocBook DTD.

I don't have any personal experience with R-T-L languages but following
W3C memo notes some reason why it is better to capture text direction
change by markup and not by just characters.

http://www.w3.org/TR/unicode-xml/#Bidi

Maybe it will put some light into this issue.

				Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz