Subject: Re: [docbook] Whatever happened too CSS+XML?

On Monday 07 November 2005 07:39 am, martin.gautier@myrnham.co.uk wrote:
> >> http://www.badgers-in-foil.co.uk/projects/docbook-css/
>
> The badgers-in-foil stuff is still going and is quite mature now. It works
> well with Mozilla/Firefox.

There's a good deal of latent technology in Mozilla which is either not fully
implemented, a bit buggy, or just lying dormant.  I'm pretty sure Mozilla can
handle XSLT at a reasonable level.  Whatever they are doing on the client
side to produce the sidebar can certainly be ported to the server side
without Divine intervention.  That would enable the server to present a
document to the user as if it were local but only transferring the parts the
user actually chooses to view.  You could even store chunks of documents in
something like Xindice and construct complete documents on the fly.

> I use it quite a bit whilst developing my docbook documents as it's a
> quick way to review what I've written without having to have strict well
> formed XML that I can export using the stylesheets.

For me, I'd rather just leave the original document intact, and link it
together with XLink and whatever else might work.  I wish more people
understood that it's not just simply a matter of waiting around for things to
happen.  If we want a technology, we have to push for it.  We have to suffer
a bit of frustration, and sometimes, we even have to help implement it.

> The badgers-in-foil guys also have a handy Firefox plugin that generates a
> nice clickable TOC in the Sidebar.

You got some linkage?  I'm not finding it by poking around on their site.
That is such an obvious design strategy that I am amazed that it has not
become dominant.