Subject: Re: [docbook] Cross-linking to a range

Hi,

Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
> I.e. your application?

Look, I'm a bit combuffled here; I simply do not understand why I'm
getting so much negative treatment from you guys. All I asked for is
if ranges could be referenced as per the specs, and the answers I'm
given is that it is an application problem. Huh? The presentation and
processing of whatever the spec says is application layer, no problems
there, but as you also have stated, there is no support for it in
DocBook! It cannot be an application problem if the specs don't
support it, right?

> xlink dreamed about it. We sometimes come across uses for it.
> Just that HTML fails us every time. As does PDF.
> How to show (somehow) that hitting this link could take you
> to one of n possible targets.

There *are* ways to do it, but mostly this is talking about
processing. If it did exsist, for example as in <xref
linkstart="chap1"  linkend="chap3" />, then there are several ways to
deal with it, and I'd be happy to take that to the application level.

Confused,

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert