Subject: Re: [docbook] Cross-linking to a range

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 09:38 +1100, Alexander Johannesen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
> > I.e. your application?
>
> Look, I'm a bit combuffled here; I simply do not understand why I'm
> getting so much negative treatment from you guys.
In which case I apologise.
In plain terms, XML hasn't got to multi-ended linking yet.
Hence its the target that should be getting the flak, not you.

> All I asked for is
> if ranges could be referenced as per the specs, and the answers I'm
> given is that it is an application problem. Huh?
XML don't do it with FOSS tools.
If you want it, write an app to do it.
Huh?
> The presentation and
> processing of whatever the spec says is application layer, no problems
> there, but as you also have stated, there is no support for it in
> DocBook! It cannot be an application problem if the specs don't
> support it, right?
Not unless you write it | pay for it to be written.
Hence its an application domain issue (IMHO).

> > xlink dreamed about it. We sometimes come across uses for it.
> > Just that HTML fails us every time. As does PDF.
> > How to show (somehow) that hitting this link could take you
> > to one of n possible targets.
>
> There *are* ways to do it, but mostly this is talking about
> processing.
== application?
>  If it did exsist, for example as in <xref
> linkstart="chap1"  linkend="chap3" />, then there are several ways to
> deal with it, and I'd be happy to take that to the application level.

Standard semantics exist in theory. See xlink.
Paul Prescod describes it in his book pretty well.

In my ignorance, I've never heard of it being implemented.

--
Regards,

Dave Pawson
XSLT + Docbook FAQ