Subject: Re: [docbook] So, what's the current version of DocBook?

wolfgang haefelinger wrote:

>       What's the current version of DocBook?
>
> Wikipedia tells me it's 5.0, however ..

It depends on what you mean but current? The latest version in 5.0, but
it doesn't mean that can't successfully use 4.5 or even older versions.

> Therefore I conclude that the official version of DocBook is version
> 4.5 and 5.0 is still about to be released ...

You shouldn't apply pure logic to information spread over web on several
and sometimes un-updated web pages.

> Wouldn't it be wise to make www.docbook.org the official DocBook page?

It depends on what you mean by official? docbook.org is the primary
resource about DocBook, but institutionally development is done inside
OASIS -- but as OASIS doesn't provide the most flexible environment for
managing web content.

If you want to get overview of versions, go to

http://www.docbook.org/specs/

there is missing recent important change that DocBook 5.0 was approved
as an OASIS Standard.

> Wouldn't it be wise further to state there  the role of
> other"official" sites like FAQ, TC etc, the current version and the
> role of
> older versions (supported, update) ??

In general this is good idea, but such information would anyway one time
became out-of-date.

				Jirka

OpenPGP digital signature