docstandards-interop-discuss message

Subject: RE: [docstandards-interop-discuss] documents or data.

Jim,

Just to further clarify - my focus is:

d. Person to Machine to Person workflow

where the machine interposes validations and optionally automated content packaging that is then person reviewed later.

In this solution mix - I'm seeing the person is using some template to guide their content creation - and that is then stored in a known XML format (DITA + xhtml + extensions?) - so machine processing is then tailored to those templates and applies rules to crosscheck that content provided. After that the content is packaged up and made available for downstream person review / actions.

What's nice about this is that the content creation by the person - can use their familiar tool (Word, PDF, et al) - but the actual template in that tool creates and stores the content in the open XML format directly - not the vendor format.  This approach completely removes the need to transform markup - since its directly created in the target open syntax at source.  Subsequent machine processing can then provide presentation at point of use formatting.

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)