dss-dev message

Subject: Re: [dss-dev] DSS services and European Signature law

Hi Pim,

as this is a difficult topic I used Detlef as my backup expert ;-)
Detlef confirmed my quick guess that each an every component of a
DSS-based SSCD needs to evaluated on its own. Usually that's would
require an evaluation of a hardware component ( hopefully a smartcard
with a testimonial ) and the software artifacts. But an EAL 4+
evaluation of a software component would be extremely expensive and
would need a re-evaluation with every minor release .. would presume
this to be overkill.

Don't think that's a way to ...

Greetings

Andreas

----- Original Message ----
From: Pim van der Eijk <lists@sonnenglanz.net>
To: Andreas Kuehne <kuehne@trustable.de>; dss-dev@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: veit@trustable.de
Sent: Thursday, February 7, 2008 4:15:09 PM

Hello Andreas,

Thanks a lot for your response.  You are right that there are many more
issues to consider to be able to state whether or not a DSS
implementation
meets EAL 4+.  To rephrase my question, more precisely, assume we have
some
device that is certified to meet the requirements of CWA 14169 that has
"trusted path" to a local user interface. For instance, it could be a
hardware device that uses the keyboard and monitor of a computer as
user
interface.  Now assume an alternative device that is similar in all
ways
except that it can be accessed from remotely using DSS.  Would this
device
qualify as an SSCD?

Pim

Andreas Kühne