dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Timestamping Profile Q 1/3: Type of "SignatureObject" - NP2

At 10:38 AM 1/14/2004 +0000, Nick Pope wrote:

>Trevor,
>
>I also see what you are saying.
>
>It is a question of what we would expect DSS client or DSS server to
>support.  Whilst some systems may decide to support several forms of
>timestamp this significantly adds to the complication of the implementation.
>I doubt that clients would ever support more than one form of time-stamp,

I'm not so sure.  If clients don't process the timestamps themselves, but
only use a DSS server to create/verify them, then clients could ignore the
contents of the <dss:Timestamp>.  Then clients could easily support
different forms of timestamp with a single protocol.

I like this because:
  - the "infrastructure level" has lots of competing and still-evolving
technologies (linking vs. signed vs. DB-stored; RFC 3161 vs.
XMLTimeStampToken; X.509 vs. PGP vs. SPKI vs. XKMS vs. SAML vs. proprietary)
  - client software is hard to roll-out, and hard to change once you've done so
  - Thus, it would be good to insulate clients from the turbulence of the
infrastructure level

>and if a server does I suggest that this is done as several profiles.
>
>So I still prefer the profiles to be more specific as I see that as what
>would be implemented.

I guess I prefer seeing the profiles as just referring to the protocol
between client and server, not referring to everything that needs to be
done to produce a complete implementation on the server-side.

In the requirements doc, we talked about "protocol profiles" and "signature
profiles", and then "application profiles" that combine these.  Maybe we
should resurrect these terms?  I would be talking about protocol profiles,
and you're talking about application profiles.

Perhaps a single document could give a protocol profile, and then multiple
application profiles based on that?  The client would just implement the
protocol profile, but the server would choose and implement one of the
application profiles?  For example, the timestamping profile document would
have an added section that lists application profiles detailing how to
produce/verify RFC3161 TimeStampTokens, and XMLTimeStampTokens..

I kinda like that, what do you think?

Trevor