dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Timestamping Profile Q 1/3: Type of "SignatureObject" - NP2

Nice idea but my experience is that generally clients are built like that.
Unless very careful steps are made to make a program generic, with testing
with the different types, there is always something which makes a client to
a specific data types.

Making an application more generic certainly has costs.  I have no problem
with allowing clients / servers to do this if there was a customer need, but
generally I would expect the client to be written to work with a single
time-stamp server type.

> I like this because:
>   - the "infrastructure level" has lots of competing and still-evolving
> technologies (linking vs. signed vs. DB-stored; RFC 3161 vs.
> XMLTimeStampToken; X.509 vs. PGP vs. SPKI vs. XKMS vs. SAML vs.
> proprietary)
>   - client software is hard to roll-out, and hard to change once
> you've done so
>   - Thus, it would be good to insulate clients from the turbulence of the
> infrastructure level
>

> >and if a server does I suggest that this is done as several profiles.
> >
> >So I still prefer the profiles to be more specific as I see that as what
> >would be implemented.
>
> I guess I prefer seeing the profiles as just referring to the protocol
> between client and server, not referring to everything that needs to be
> done to produce a complete implementation on the server-side.
>
> In the requirements doc, we talked about "protocol profiles" and
> "signature
> profiles", and then "application profiles" that combine these.  Maybe we
> should resurrect these terms?  I would be talking about protocol
> profiles,
> and you're talking about application profiles.
>
> Perhaps a single document could give a protocol profile, and then
> multiple
> application profiles based on that?  The client would just implement the
> protocol profile, but the server would choose and implement one of the
> application profiles?  For example, the timestamping profile
> document would
> have an added section that lists application profiles detailing how to
> produce/verify RFC3161 TimeStampTokens, and XMLTimeStampTokens..
>
> I kinda like that, what do you think?

I have no problem with two levels of "profile", but I would like to see a
means of referencing a logical set of choices that are specific enough to
maximise the chance of interworking.

Now we are getting into it, this concept of a profile is not as simple as it
may seem.

Nick