dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Timestamping Profile Q 1/3: Type of "SignatureObject" - NP2

At 09:52 AM 1/15/2004 +0000, Nick Pope wrote:

> [...]

maybe that's something we can fix :-)

>Unless very careful steps are made to make a program generic, with testing
>with the different types, there is always something which makes a client to
>a specific data types.

If the client treats timestamp contents as opaque, and only processes them
through the server, then the client shouldn't need to do testing for each
different type.

>Making an application more generic certainly has costs.  I have no problem
>with allowing clients / servers to do this if there was a customer need, but
>generally I would expect the client to be written to work with a single
>time-stamp server type.

How concrete do you envision this type being, though?
  a) server returns a <Timestamp>
  b) server returns a <Timestamp/XMLTimeStampToken>
  c) server returns a <Timestamp/XMLTimeStampToken> specific to an
X.509-based TSA (similar to RFC 3161 - references the signing TSA's
Distinguished Name, and its signing certificate through a signed attribute
containing the certificate hash and IssuerSerialNumber).

I think (c) is the level of detail needed for a server implementation, and
(a) is the level of detail needed for a client implementation.  So I vote
for a document that defines a single (a) profile for the client, and then
multiple (c)-level profiles for the server, which tell different ways the
server can implement the interface in (a).

I would object to having a profile that just does (b), because it's neither
specific enough to tell the server what to implement, nor general enough to
let the client access different types of TSAs.

[...]
> > Perhaps a single document could give a protocol profile, and then
> > multiple
> > application profiles based on that?  The client would just implement the
> > protocol profile, but the server would choose and implement one of the
> > application profiles?  For example, the timestamping profile
> > document would
> > have an added section that lists application profiles detailing how to
> > produce/verify RFC3161 TimeStampTokens, and XMLTimeStampTokens..
> >
> > I kinda like that, what do you think?
> >

>I have no problem with two levels of "profile", but I would like to see a
>means of referencing a logical set of choices that are specific enough to
>maximise the chance of interworking.

Do you like the approach above?

>Now we are getting into it, this concept of a profile is not as simple as it
>may seem.

Yeah, it's hairy.  I think it's good to have this discussion, though, since
these issues will appear in other profiles.

Anyways, opinions from other people (particularly potential implementors!)
are welcome.

Trevor