dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] DSS profiles Overview document

At 12:04 AM 1/26/2004 +0100, Andreas Kuehne wrote:

>Hi Trevor !
>
>>Interesting - like code-signing and policy-wise, this is an abstract
>>profile (or meta, or "decorative" - good word!).
>
>In the old days before XML I spent my time doing object modelling. So I
>remembered the 'decorator pattern',one of my favorites !
>

>>However, this profile mostly describes the server's processing, not the
>>protocol itself.  Maybe instead of having a single <ServiceProfile>
>>optional input, we should have separate <ProtocolProfile> and
>><ProcessingProfile> inputs, so that a client can simultaneously say:
>>  - I want a code-signing signature (or XAdES signature; or time-stamp; etc.)
>>  - I want it produced in compliance with sigG
>>We could also separate our documents into protocol profiles, and
>>processing profiles.  Something to think about, at least.
>Yes, I agree that it will be a comman way to aggregate several different
>profiles. But I guess you can't separate the different profiles in this
>two categories. Dtmo the XAdES profile defines both protocol and
>processing aspects.

You're right - profiles like XAdES and SigG will have both protocol and
processing aspects.  So it doesn't make sense to try to pigeonhole the
abstract profiles as "protocol profiles", or "processing profiles".

So I guess we'll just have abstract/meta-profiles that can profile whatever
they want (transport/security bindings, the protocol, signature format,
processing rules), and then a "concrete profile" can inherit from some of
these (and add more profiling if it needs to).  That's what we were moving
towards on the con call too, I think.

>>>I would suggest that things that need to be regularly reviewed such as key
>>>lengths should not be in the profile but managed as part of the policy.
>>>Also, key lengths depend on other factors such as lifetime of certificates
>>>etc.
>>>Finally, in the EU there is already guidance on algorithms and key lengths.
>>>
>>>The general issue of versioning of the profiles vis-a-vis the Core, however,
>>>warrents some consideration - Any thoughts Trevor?
>>
>>The approach above might give a solution, in this specific case - a
>>single <ProtocolProfile> could support multiple different
>><ProcessingProfile>s, like -
>><ProcessingProfile>urn:sigG:1024bits<ProcessingProfile>
>><ProcessingProfile>urn:sigG:1536bits<ProcessingProfile>
>><ProcessingProfile>urn:sigG:2048bits<ProcessingProfile>
>
>Hmm, is the 'urn:sigG:1024bits' a fine grained profile, just to denote the
>key length ? Or a full SigG profile just named by the key length ?

I take that back - a concrete profile might have some of its processing
rules inherited from the SigG profile, and some inherited from the XAdES
profile, etc., so it can't just indicate a single processing profile.  For
the same reason, adding a single <dss:ProfileVersion> optional input into
core would be hard, cause you'd have to specify which of the abstract
profiles it was meant for.

I think it would be better for each abstract profile to simply define any
optional inputs it needs for extensibility/versioning.  For example, SigG
could add an optional input:
<sigG:BitLength>1024</sigG:BitLength>, or
<sigG:Version>2.0</sigG:Version>

We could recommend that if profiles need a version, they call their
optional input <xyz:Version>.  But I don't think we need to put anything
into the core to support this?

Trevor