dss message

Subject: Re: Indication of Intent / Commitment type

I think that the CommitmentType could by adequate to represent what I am
interested in.  However, just to clarify what is behind by comment:

It is my opinion that keys should have different purposes, intents, and
perhaps they can even have different levels of security that are required to
protect the keys.  The need to insure the validity of a signature on a
document that an attorney submits to a court carries less weight than a
signature on a judgement from a judge sending someone to jail for life.

Some keys can have specific purposes, for example, when an attorney submits
a document to the court, he may have a key issued where the only intent of
that key is for signing documents that are sent to a specific court.  New
Jersey is a good example of this.  The courts have established their own PKI
for the sole purpose of allowing the attorneys to sign documents submitted
to the New Jersey Courts.  The policies that protect these keys is limited.

Many courts are moving away from signatures due to the complexities of key
management and training.  Yet at the same time, I desire to use the same
CommitmentType structure  into a legalXML document for courts that recognize
a login/password as a replacement for signatures.  Can this be part of the
structure?

Another issue that I need addressed in the CommitmentType is whether the
intent of the signature is to approve of the content of a given document or
to certify the validity of another signature and have no liability of the
content of the document.

Dallas