dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Re: Indication of Intent / Commitment type

At 09:50 AM 3/9/2004 -0500, jmessing wrote:

>In a dss, the username/password can be leveraged into a digital signature
>by having a method by which a server recognizes a use from the
>username/password and digitally signs on the user's behalf [...] One way
>to do this is to have a third party authenticate the user with the
>username/password and digitally sign an authentication assertion (SAML)
>which the signature server recognizes.

just to toss in a comment:

TLS/SRP is another good way to use usernames/passwords. The client uses his
username and password to mutually authenticate with the DSS server and
establish a secure session.

Of course, if you *want* to use a 3rd-party for authentication, this isn't
helpful, but if password-based authentication directly with the DSS server
is what you want, I think that's the best way to go.

Trevor