dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Pending / TryAgainLater

At 06:10 PM 4/6/2004 +0100, Pieter Kasselman wrote:

>Hi Trevor
>
>Whether it makes sense to split async support between the core and the
>profiles is a good question. Having looked at this from various angles,
>the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that async support must
>be in the core and not in a profile at all. By splitting and delegating
>async support to a profile we introduce the risk that different profiles
>will have different levels of sophistication in dealing with async
>processing of requests, resulting in different implementations which in
>turn becomes unproductive. In addition there is no guarantee that a future
>core specification will adopt the proposed async mechanisms from the
>profiles. If there is more than one async mechanism, which one will be
>chosen for inclusion in the core?

Another possibility is to have a single, separate Async Profile.  This
would make it clear what the approved way of doing asychronous operation
is, hopefully avoiding the confusion you mention.

But by keeping it out of the core, we would keep the core smaller and
easier to implement in its entirety.

Trevor