Subject: Re: [ebsoa] events and agents as defined in an ebSOA

Personal Opinion:

Greetings:

I just caught the tail of this thread, my apologies for not reading the
this area...

IMHO (having done some work in this area), JXTA provides an excellent
foundation for distributed, intelligent, mobile, multi-agent systems
(also an instance of SOA). There is nothing preventing an agent system
architecture/design/implementation from supporting/integrating both FIPA
agent standards and OASIS standards. I'd also add W3C, especially the
Semantic Web efforts namely OWL/RDF. (FIPA info, http://www.fipa.org/
;FIPA is now an IEEE Standards Committee, see:
http://www.fipa.org/about/fipa_and_ieee.html)

If you haven't already done so, it is worth a look at CMU's RETSINA and
Semantic Web efforts which c/should also be of interest
(http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~softagents/index.html), though I don't know
the licensing requirements, if any. There are too many other good agent
efforts to list, as someone previously mentioned, though there are agent
standards such as FIPA.

While there may be overlap among the many specs, these are minimal and
can be normalized given sufficient interest (and wheel reinvention
avoidance). Consider FIPA-compliant agents which also support OASIS /
Web service standards and common bindings (SOAP/WSDL/UDDI/ebXML-RR/
etc.) and W3C standards (*ML, Semantic Web, etc.) deployed over a
FIPA/JXTA agent ecosystem.

Agents as Web services and vice versa, not an original thought perhaps
but also not a common thought. Perhaps these specs/standards may
converge and synthesize eventually, however at present they are often
complimentary...e.g., compare/contrast
BPEL/BPM/Choreography/Ontology/UBL/etc with FIPA Agent Communications
(Contract Net Interaction Protocol), Agent Management, Ontology, ACL, etc.

For me, the great thing about all of this is that JXTA, FIPA, OASIS, W3C
are open, implementation, language, platform, network neutral standards
and/or specifications. There are commercial and open source
implementations for various elements too. Finally, while not trivial it
is possible to integrate and synthesize these many specs and standards
(even implementations) to achieve what "I think" you are looking for...

...and at the top of my soapbox list co-equal with agent systems...AI,
but I'll spare you my pro-AI rants & raves as this isn't the appropriate
forum ;)

Regards,
Richard