Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] [ebBP] Tell 6/14/2004: Business Contract Requirements for State Alignment

Title: Message
Close, but not quite...

The beginsWhen expression can be used as both linking to a semantic state (e.g. begins when "state" of "product-delivered" is reached) -and- as a semantic definition that can be used to define that state (e.g. "in the context of this BPSS, "product-delivered" is defined as the existance of both product-delivered-date and delivery-signature")

This could be implemented as either:
1) a filter: the BPSS layer can reject an attempt by the backend integration to start an illegal transaction (and notify of course - up to the implementation in any case)
2) a subscription:  the BPSS implementation could link into and use one of those new-fangled semantic-information-maping tools to subscribe to changes in the local implementation of product-delivered-date and delivery-signature.

The important thing is that the BUSINESS COMMUNITY was able to define the semantic business-event controlling the process, so us technology focuessed yahoos would not loose site of our objective.  If someone implements a way to use it in an automated fashion, then that's cool -> regardless of whether they are using it for monitoring or execution.

John
-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Jacques Dubray [mailto:jeanjadu@Attachmate.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 10:01 AM
To: Yunker, John; martin.me.roberts@bt.com; david@drrw.info; Monica.Martin@Sun.COM; anderst@toolsmiths.se; nagahashi@fla.fujitsu.com
Cc: ebxml-bp@lists.oasis-open.org

The key benefit here is the ability to associate/link a BPSS sematic node with both 1) its implementation and 2) its role in the business-agreement/contract layer.  How that is implemented with respect to a backend system event is not my concern, what is my concern is the semantic-definition that can be USED to implement a backend monitor.

<JJ>If I understand this paragraph correctly, beginsWhen is not used in the sense of a “guard” (can only begins when the condition is true and other things have to happen before this guard flips its value), but rather in the sense of expressing a state (i.e. when this BTA begins, then we are in the “product delivered state” provided that there is a delivery date, … Is that correct? In that case, it would mean that the beginsWhen and endsWhen have no influence on the choreography, they are really state representations

</JJ>