Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] [ebBP] Tell 6/14/2004: Business Contract Requirements for State Alignment

Title: Message
David,

While I agree 100% in principle, I want to clarify that it CAN be an expression (IMO).  For instance "product-is-delivered or turned-over-to-consignee-broker" would be an expression for international context.  Note you still link to named-true-false-conditional, but you are allowed to have a simple expression involving more than one named-true-false-conditional.

The granularity would be up to the business community defining the BPSS, as in some cases it will be important to be able to see the simple expression in the BPSS, in others the business community would simply want to say "product-is-delivered" and then leave the component states to the context mechanism.

In either case the business community is allowed to define the semantic dependency, which can then be specialized for context and implemented by vendors.

John
-----Original Message-----
From: David RR Webber [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 10:11 AM
To: Yunker, John; martin.me.roberts@bt.com; Monica.Martin@Sun.COM; anderst@toolsmiths.se; nagahashi@fla.fujitsu.com; jeanjadu@Attachmate.com
Cc: ebxml-bp@lists.oasis-open.org

John,

This is definately in line with my thinking - but here's a further detail.

I believe its cleaner to have the semantic expression merely state some
true/false conditional that is to be evaluated - this conditional then has
a plain language name that conveys the decision being made.

This avoids any need for expression language beyond the simple - OR /
AND linkage terms.  So in your example it simplifies to just:

 "Product-is-delivered"

and then in the context mechanism - you can test for delivery date and
delivery signature using XPath expressions against the actual
confirming response received - using the XML <condition ..... />
elements to capture those details in the ebContext associated with
the binary collaboration.

This way - implementers can choose their own language toolset to
parse the ebContext XML and those XPath expressions, and the
confirming response transaction (could be EDI, XML, other) - and
then indicate to the BPSS processor by setting "Product-is-delivered"
true/false.

This I hope does what is required here - provides the means to
define semantically the BT level control - while allows us to use
XPath as the expression syntax.

Note: the problem with using "exists(delivered-date)" etc, is an
implementer has no way of knowing how to actually make
that test work - and against what content?  Using XPath
solves that for us.

The only remaining piece to the puzzle is the magic around
setting the Product-is-delivered flag itself.  Obviously that's
a BSI level item potential.

Right now - we can simply not worry about it - since
implementers can easily declare an in-memory indicator to
track that for the BPSS instance - and use their own means
to update it.

But the key is that there is a direct link between that flag
and the ebContext XPath expressions that do the actual
work.

One further point
<snip>
Current BPSS does not have any method for linking the definition-of-business-event-having-occurred.  It is critical that BPSS transitions occur immediately once a business action is complete, since the owner of the event beginning the next transaction almost always rests with the originating-party of the next transaction.
</snip>

Agreed - and I believe the begins/endsWhen mechanism - functioning as a signal achieves what we need here.
We simply need to state in the specification that that is the behave - that these signal conditions - via the
ebContext mechanism work as immediate interrupts - eg - when a transaction is exchange - if
useContextInstance is set to "true" for the BT step - then conditions are tested - and binary collaboration
processing of BT flow then procedures accordingly.

Hope that is clearer?

Thanks, DW