Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Using BPSS/ebMS to implement staged message exchanges

David,

A great idea, but I don't think this process needs to be defined in the
ebMS specification.

ebMSv3 defines what are called Abstract Message Exchange Patterns.  A
draft will be out soon on this by the way.  One of the AMEPs is a
pattern which allows the receiver to request a sender to transmit any
available messages via a signal.  The point is, we are busy providing
much more flexibility for message exchange by enabling push/pull/poll.

Regards,

Matt

On Oct 7, 2004, at 9:03 AM, David RR Webber wrote:

> [...]
>>> can be signalled by parties
>>> via the CPA and ultimately included into a BPSS.
>>> The hope here is to find the means using as much of what we have
>>> already defined, with some
>>> small extensions, so that its not a major feature extension effort.
>>> The sense is that ebMS V3.0 may
>>> well already provide means, so now the question is can BPSS V2 or V3
>>> support this pattern too?
>>>
>>> So - just to recap' - yes - you can make ebMS V2.x do this right now
>>> if needed - but can we
>>> have formal support in the specification rather than resorting to
>>> one-off techniques to do it.
>>>
>>> Thanks, DW
>>> ==============================
>>>
>>> Defining Staged Delivery.
>>>
>>> The following text is intended to quantify 'staged delivery' and
>>> understand
>>> the pattern it uses and to be able to specify one of these in a
>>> BPSS, and
>>> implement it with CPA / ebMS behaviour level details.
>>>
>>> An analogy here may be to the traditional supply chain equivalent
>>> being the
>>> ship notice, followed by the delivery notice - but instead of using
>>> a truck
>>> to exchange goods - this requires using the ebMS itself since the
>>> 'goods'
>>> are electronic content or documents of some form in the electronic
>>> message
>>> itself.
>>>
>>> There are all kinds of government administrative situations when this
>>> applies - court submissions, bids and proposals, grant award
>>> submissions,
>>> commercial side
>>> would be multimedia content distribution as a use case - where a
>>> distributor
>>> is sending out large files to subscribers, so they would notify that
>>> new
>>> content is ready for delivery, and queue that content, and then the
>>> subscriber could connect and release that exact content to them when
>>> they
>>> were ready to do that, or vice versa, subscribers sending in content.
>>>
>>> This pattern applies particularly when the message size is extremely
>>> large
>>> (relative to the available bandwidth) and there is some deadline or
>>> constraint to its delivery, and there is the potential for the
>>> receiver
>>> system to be swapped trying to receive one or more such
>>> transmissions within
>>> a specific timeframe.
>>>
>>> So - in a formal staged delivery, the first email is the key email
>>> that
>>> initiates the staging from the sender to the receiver - it contains
>>> ticket
>>> information that must be validated by the receiver's backend system
>>> that
>>> verifies the sender's submitter information and establishes the
>>> time-of-submission, (as opposed to the final delivery time which may
>>> occur
>>> later).  It also contains the metrics about the second message (the