ebxml-cppa-comment message

Subject: Re: AW: Re: Automated CPA Negotiation

Michael,

Thank you again for  your interest.  I have inserted answers to your
questions below.  I have sent copies of this to the ebxml-cppa-negot list
and ebxml-cppa-comment list.  You should be able to subscribe to the
ebxml-cppa-comment list without being a member.  This will allow you to
submit questions to the CPPA team and negotiation subteam, receive answers,
and receive any other discussion on that list.. You won't be able to
subscribe to the ebxml-cppa-negot list without becoming a member of OASIS.

To subscribe to ebxml-cppa-comment, send a message to
ebxml-cppa-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org.  The subject and body of
the message can be blank.  Please let me know if you have any problems.

I will announce the next draft on ebxml-cppa-comment.  I will either send
you a copy or tell you how you can get it from the web site if non-members
can download documents.

See below for my answers.

Regards,
Marty

At 06:21 AM 7/25/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Marty
>
>Thank you for your offer. I will come back to it when we are more advanced
>with the design and implementation of our component.
>For now just a few points that are not clear to us:
>-Is there a special dummy value (NULL, nil, ..) for negotiable elements in
>the CPPA defined, can they just be empty, should they contain a value of
>the NDD or any allowed (xsd) value?

MWS:  The CPPA template must contain values that are valid to an XML
parser.  However the presence of an element or attribute description in the
NDD that accompanies the CPA Template initial offer overrides the value of
the same element or attribute in the CPPA template.

>-Are the preference functions of both partners in a single matched NDD
>that is part of the (counter-)offer with a CPA-template?

MWS: There are some rules on order of preference when several alternatives
are given in the NDD. See, for example, section 11.4. See also my reply below.

>-Are there elements for a total utility function and a minimum total
>utility value in the NDD? This would give the negotiation algorithm a hint
>to decide on several elements with preference functions.

MWS: Version 1 of this specification will cover only the negotiation
protocol (message exchanges and rules for  working with the NDD) and not
the negotiation algorithm. As mentioned in section 14 (Negotiation
Algorithm), the negotiation algorithm, including entities such as utility
functions, is out of scope for version 1.  In version 1, the negotiation
algorithm is viewed as a private strategy matter of each party. Admittedly,
the specification would be much more powerful if it included negotiation
strategy functions.  However the sub-team's consensus was that it would be
best to start with the functions that are in the draft and leave the much
harder negotiation strategy problem for a later stage. I am hopeful that
version 1 has enough functionality to be useful and might attract experts,
such as yourself, on the higher level negotiation functions, who might wish
to contribute to standardizing that level of negotiation.