Subject: RE: Why all this obsession over UIDs?

This item is part of a flow today on the ebtwg list server.  I'm not sure
what it is all about but there is a CPPA implication in here.

---------------------- Forwarded by Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM on 09/28/2001
08:04 PM ---------------------------

David RR Webber - XMLGlobal <Gnosis_@compuserve.com>@compuserve.com> on
09/28/2001 07:46:56 PM

To:   "Welsh, David" <David.Welsh@nordstrom.com>
cc:   "Hayes, Brian" <Brian.Hayes@Commerceone.com>, "'Duane Nickull'"
      <duane@xmlglobal.com>, ebtwg-ccs@lists.ebtwg.org, eBTWG List
      <ebtwg@lists.ebtwg.org>

Message text written by "Welsh, David"

Duane,
I don't normally jump in, but I was just trying to think thru the process
with the UID's and could you explain that one in a bit more detail. I'm not
sure I get your meaning of how you see this could work, overall I mean. Can
you elaborate a bit.

I know BP specified a BPINS approach to answer the question of "so what do
you call a BP", so every BP in the world could have it's own URI.

Are you saying every CPPA has to have a unique identification equivalent to
the "BPINS" as BP uses to 'name' processes ? If so, it sounds like we need
to get the CEFACT BP side of the house to work this out with the OASIS CPPA
side of the (ebXML) house.

I just was a little unclear with what you were saying.
Thanks
-Dave

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Dave,

Think of the hierarchy.

 UMM -> BPSS -> Core components

and then at the CPPA level lots of people may be reusing the same
BPSS.   They need to hit the right one, and also the right sub-version.

Ditto the transaction assemblies of core components.

URI is a bit flaky - W3C is still trying to decide what is allowed
in these - and URNs to - and also these cannot give you versions.

You may also want to group your own CPPA's with a UID range,
since again your CPA will key into those.

However - a CPPA could be a throw away if its a local use item.
But some Webservices will want to publish their CPPA and
want that re-used tons.

DW.