Subject: [ebxml-cppa] Re: CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: Review/Feedback of RosettaNetTrading Partner Agreement (TPA) Draft

I support Luca Palermo's request that the material be made available on the RN set without the IP protection gate.  However, this is purely a technical web interface issue;  I know from the RosettaNet group that they welcome outside feedback.  As a practical matter, the v2.0 model documents were posted directly to the CEFACT LWG mail list, and RN's project managers could also have them posted to the ebxml-cppa list, to efficiently obtain feedback from the CPPA group.

(However, please note that, as Marty Sachs wisely warned me in 2000, the topics addressed in a "TPA" of the RosettaNet type, and "TPAml" or "CPPA" artifacts of the ebXML type, only overlap in part.   Each addresses many substantial matters irrelevant to the other.)

Best regards  Jamie Clark

~ James Bryce Clark
~ VP and General Counsel, McLure-Moynihan Inc.
~ Chair, ABA Business Law Subcommittee on Electronic Commerce
~ 1 818 597 9475   jamie.clark@mmiec.com    jbc@lawyer.com
~ This message is neither legal advice nor a binding signature.  Ask me why.

At 08:41 AM 2/19/02, Luca Palermo wrote:
I noticed that to download the TPA documentation v02.00, a License for the
docs (protecting the IP of RosettaNet) must be agreed upon prior to
downloading them. Is this really necessary? Please refer to a discussion we
had some time ago with Pete, Jamie and myself. Please advise.

-----Original Message-----
From: Luca Palermo [mailto:luca.palermo@st.com]
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 3:40 PM
To: Pete.Wenzel@RosettaNet.org
Cc: kim.kovacs@rosettanet.org; Jennifer.Hamilton@rosettanet.org;
Derek.Coleman@rosettanet.org; jamie.clark@mmiec.com; Jean-Claude Morand
Subject: RE: Re: [ebxml-cppa] FW: CALL FOR PARTICIPATION:
Review/Feedback of RosettaNet Trading Partner Agreement (TPA) Draft

Hello Pete,
First of all I want to thank you for this action.  Regarding the click-wrap license protecting the TPA material, I fully agree with James Bryce. Sorry, but I never noticed that restriction... since I never had to download the TPA. The TPA Program is not "process-oriented", and should not necessarily be subjected to the same restrictions as PIP specifications.

When I sent the TPA documents for publication in the RosettaNet web site,
the idea was to put them in the public domain: open to all representatives
of high-tech companies, industry associations, international standardisation
bodies, etc. that could be interested in reviewing and using the TPA. I
don't think that copyrighting it is the best solution. The TPA is a
multipurpose agreement that can be used for any electronic information
exchange (not limited to RosettaNet transactions).

It would be great if Jamie could review the TPA documentation and help us to
improve it. Thank you.

Best regards,
Luca
* * *