Subject: [ebxml-cppa] Persistent/Transient Definitions from BPSS Project Team

FYI.

-----Original Message-----
From: Buchinski.Ed@tbs-sct.gc.ca [mailto:Buchinski.Ed@tbs-sct.gc.ca]
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 11:55 AM
To: Brian.Hayes@Commerceone.com; pallavi.g.malu@intel.com
Subject: RE: Persistent/Transient Definitions

Brain & Pallavi,

	I have reviewed the definitions that you provided and would suggest
that these remain as is.  In addition I spoke with a collegue, Rick, who
lives and breaths "security".  We didn't have enough time to review the
various aspects of the ebXML (i.e. messaging, business process and CPP).
Recognizing the time constraints and the fact that everyone on my floor is
packing their office so that we can be in a new location on Monday following
is some more input.

Rick suggested that we base all definitions on the standards definitions
available out there, we must not have a new version (the ones in the
security arena rather than ebXML with which he is unfamiliar).  Getting back
to the need to refine "persistent" and "transient""
* "Persistent" services means basically a service from originator to
destination and for as long as that business process needs it.
* Any "transitory" service means they are applied as needed between two
points, and not necessarily end-to-end.
There is also work in the IETF and ETSI space to look at the Non-repudiation
and persistency of security services.  Rick couldn't come up with a
reference on short notice.  It is not clear that these were referenced in
the normative references in ebMSH.

For your information, the persistent aspect relates to information retention
and management.  Attached is a drfat guidance document that our security
folks have just drafted.  If you are so inclined your inputs would be much
appreciated.