Subject: [ebxml-cppa] A straw man Implementation Architecture document for ebXML

Title: Message
Dear Colleagues,

I submitted a short contribution to the recent UN/CEFACT Forum TMG meeting in Geneva which called for the production of an architecture document for ebXML that would help implementers understand how all the various implementable components of ebXML were to be used and how they related to each other.  It was agreed that the needs of implementers was not well served at present.  It was noted that the current architecture specification served a number of different audiences, particularly other ebXML groups, but did not provide a good implementation view at present.  While this could be added, and there were some comments submitted as part of the UeB Technical Architecture Technical Specification review that called for this, it was decided to leave the current document as the theoretical view, showing how classes of things related, and to generate a new document which would specify the use and relationship of the ebXML components in a real system.

Please find attached a start at a 'strawman' for such a document.  I have concentrated on the 'static' arrangement of the component parts.  During the meeting Duane (Nickull) described (and demonstrated) how some of the component parts might relate dynamically - design time, configuration time and actual run time.  I hope Duane will be able to write up what he was telling us into this document.

Obvious issues are:
What status should this document have?  Should it be a Technical Specification with much of the content normative (and thus have conformance implications for those wanting to implement more than one of the ebXML specifications) - or should be a non-normative 'user guide' only?

What structure should the document have?  Are the current headings the best and most appropriate ones?

Is the title the best we could choose - anyone have any better suggestions (while keeping to the intent)?

If the idea of this document is accepted, I am willing to act as the editor, at least on a temporary basis (unless anyone else is really keen to take it on, in which case I will not stand in their way!).

Best Regards,

Tony

Tony Fletcher

Technical Advisor
Choreology Ltd.
13, Austin Friars, London EC2N 2JX UK

Phone:

+44 (0) 20 7670 1787

Mobile:

+44 (0) 7801 948 219

Fax:

+44 (0) 20 7670 1785

Web:

www.choreology.com

Cohesions 1.0™

Business transaction management software for application coordination

Work: tony.fletcher@choreology.com

Home: amfletcher@iee.org