Subject: Re: T2: ackRequested attribute in Via element

From: Burdett, David <david.burdett@commerceone.com>
To: 'Arvola Chan' <arvola@tibco.com>; ebXML Msg <ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org>
Cc: mwang@tibco.com <mwang@tibco.com>
Date: Monday, August 06, 2001 6:59 PM

From: Arvola Chan [mailto:arvola@tibco.com]
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 2:08 PM
To: Burdett, David; ebXML Msg
Cc: mwang@tibco.com

David:

Please see my comments inline.

Thanks,
-Arvola
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 12:11 PM

Arvola

Setting the ackRequested to Signed or Unsigned is a decision that the designer (and/or implementer) of the business process makes when they design or build a business process collaboration or business process transaction. Factors that need to be considere include (IMO):
  • The natuure of the business process/transaction - e.g. payments probably need to be secure
  • The requirements of the individual trading partners
This brings up a Messaging Service Interface question. Does the application (i.e., whatever software is above the MSI layer) instruct the MSH to send a message reliably, and/or to specify the use of MSH level acknowledgement, or is it the responsibility of the MSH to infer from the CPA and such message header elements as Service, Action, CPAId, etc. the quality of service that should be used for sending a message, and then set the QualityOfServiceInfo and Via elements accordingly?
[David B] I think there are several use cases which are all equally valid:
1. The MSH looks up the CPA
2. The Application tells the MSH to send the data reliably
3. The MSH infers what to do by looking at the service and action (or other data) in the header and looking up what to do in some type of rules database.

Once the CPA knows what to do it should set the QualityOfService and Via elements accordingly.

I see. The Message Service Interface will have to be designed to support the different use cases. Perhaps you mean "Once the MSH knows" in your above sentence.

I have always thought that the ackRequested attribute should be set if reliable messaging is being used. Is it allowable to set deliverySemantics to OnceAndOnlyOnce and to either omit the Via element or to include a Via element but set ackRequested to None?
[David B] As currently specified I think that you have to use the Via element if you are doing reliable messaging as you need ackRequest to be set even if you are doing a single hop. The reason that ackRequested is in the Via element is because the need for ackRequested is removed if you are doing multiple hops and one of the hops is using a proprietary "reliable messaging protocol" e.g IBM MQ Series. This really indicates thatr the Via element is wrongly named IMO. What are your thoughts about changing it ...

The way I read from the current spec, the sender only needs to set ackRequested if it is expecting to get back an Acknowledgement message that actually contains the Acknowledgement element (which carries non repudiation information). Otherwise, it seems rather redundant to require both deliverySemantics set to OnceAndOnlyOnce and ackRequested set to something other than None in order to elicit Reliable Messaging behavior.

In general, I am of the opinion that the Via element should be used only when an intermediary is involved. Therefore, I don't think that the ackRequested and syncReply attributes belong only in the Via element. Perhaps the QualityOfServiceInfo element is a more appropriate home for these. Why should ackRequested be different from hop to hop anyway?

The concept of an Acknowledgement message to support reliable messaging seems muddled with the concept of the Acknowledgement element which is primarily used to provide non-repudiation of receipt. My colleagues at TIBCO have pointed out to me that it seems possible to send an Acknowledgement message that does not carry an Acknowledgement element, and that only the RefToMessageId is required.  (See lines 1816 and 1817 in Section 10.3.3.) Can you please confirm that this indeed is the case?
[David B] I think that what you say is correct.

I think what would be really useful is to have a guide that describes how to design a business process/transaction using ebXML Messaging. Do you agree? If so hould it be in the 1.1 spec or something separate.

Either way is fine with me, as long as the guide is available around the time the 1.1 spec is published.
[David B] Any volunteers?

I will be happy to contribute to an effort headed up by some experienced veteran of the MSG spec.

I think that if an error is dicovered then including the ackRequested set to true on the error message runs the risk of a never ending series of messages. The only use cases to consider are where a message is being sent reliably in which case ...

My question was whether the error message should be sent reliably. I was under the impression that the CPA determines the role played by the receiver and the delivery channel that it will use for receiving messages. If the delivery channel uses a doc exchange that calls for the use of reliable messaging, then shouldn't the error message be sent reliably?
[David B] Yes if the messages are being sent synchronously.
  • If the message that was in error has ackRequested set to Signed/Unsigned and the error message sent in return is lost, then the sender of the original message will resend it which will cause the error message to be resent - see example 1 below
  • If the message that was in error has ackRequested set to None (e.g. it is a synchronous resposne) then sending the error message with Ack Requested set to Signed/Unsigned makes sense otherwise the sender of the error message will not know if the message was delivered - see example 2 below
EXAMPLE 1
Message (with error)(AckRequested=S/U)---------------------->
<---------------ErrorMessage (Includes Acknowledgment element)

If the message is in error, I doubt if the responder is obligated to include an Acknowledgement element in the error message, even if AckRequested has been asked for.
[David B] Perhaps. Even if he did not then the rules say that any errors in an error message are not responded to so it would not make much difference.

EXAMPLE 2
Message (no errors)(AckRequested=S/U)------------------------>
<-------Message (with error) (Includes Acknowledgment element)
Error Message (AckRequested=S/U)----------------------------->
<---------------Message (Includes Acknowledgment element only)

I still don't see why in example 1 the sender of the error message does not set AckRequested to S/U while in example 2 the sender of the error message sets AckRequested to S/U.
[David B] In example 1, suppose the ErrorMessage was lost, then, as the original message was sent reliably, the sender would resend it which would cause the Error Message to be resent. This means that the ErrorMessage does not need to be sent reliably as the sender of the Error Message knows that they will receive the original message again if the error message is lost
In example 2, the Error Message needs to be sent reliably as the sender wants to make sure that it was received. If it is not sent reliably then there will be no acknowledgement.
 Perhaps the design guide you suggested earlier should clearly define the error scenarios when reliable messaging and/or AckRequested are to be used.

A general rule (it's somewhere in the spec but I can't immediately find where) says that if you find an error in an error message then you don't respond with another error message and sort out the problem by some other means.

Regards
David