Subject: Re: T2 Retry with Delivery Receipt

   Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 19:19:54 -0400
   From: Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@sun.com>

   David Fischer wrote:

   > I believe you, but that's not what is in the spec now.  Right now the spec just
   > says that OnceAndOnlyOnce means the message must be sent using a
   > reliableMessagingMethod that will result in the application or other process at
   > the To Party receiving the message once and only once (10.2.1).  This does not
   > sound like it must be done using ebXML RM.  This says ANY RM method will do.

   Yes, that's absolutely correct. However, it should also be noted that
   it is not a requirement that the *same* RM protocol be used end-to-end.
   The first hop could be ebXML RM, the second MQSeries.

So it sounds like both of you are agreeing with Marty that we want to
allow individual hops to pick and choose an RM protocol.  (In this
context, "RM protocol" means what I've been referring to as the lower
layer.)

				  It can support the ebXML RM protocol
   for messages sent over HTTP, and can also support exchange (send/receive)
   of messages via MQSeries.

Right.  Of course, the stuff flowing over MQSeries, which is not using
"ebXML RM protocol", is still using "ebXML MS protocol", right?
E.g. it still has a Service and Action and ToParty and so on; that's
the higher layer.

	       My point is that we cannot dictate an implementation, we are
   only chartered with defining a wire protocol and required behaviour
   around that protocol.

I'd say we're chartered with defining *two* wire protocols, the
*optional*, lower layer "ebXML RM Protocol" and the *mandatory* higher
layer "ebXML MS Protocol" or whatever we want to call it.