Subject: ebXML and web services

I have recently been thinking more about overall architectures for
e-Government. Most architectures need a combination of transactions (such as
the ability to file a tax return) and simple services that will be used by
interoperating systems. An example of the latter might be the need to
transform a name from the Extensible Name Language to/from a local format or
to look up a postal address based on a unique property reference. It seems
logical (to me at least) that the transactions would use ebXML and the
services would use SOAP/WSDL.

Treating each separately, the ebXML part would need an ebXML registry in
which would be stored business process specifications and CPPs (among other
things). Typically, the services would use a UDDI registry. Does anyone have
experience of having these working together or of combining them? And what
about combining SAML into this? I see this as totally independent, but
others might have different views.

Regards

Paul Spencer
Director