Subject: Re: [egov] The Swedish e-Sign Signature Central

Good idea, Anders,

I am willing to bet that you will not see a single reply against it.
But it won't happen any time soon, as long as there is any
significant economic advantage in being the de facto standard in
practice, as opposed to being simply one of many federated
Certification Authorities for a globally-recognized standard for
single sign on, as recognized by US Federal Policy. So until a
Presidential Mandate or Congressional Act sets this policy in stone,
the scramble between the Microsoft Passport community and the Sun
Liberty Alliance community will continue with both saying that they
applaud the principle of a federated certification for
single-sign-on, while both communities quietly work to undermine the
process by achieving that de facto status of installed base
recognition. The US extolls the so-called"free" marketplace, but
hasn't shown much backbone lately when it comes to standing up to
monopolies. However, if the EU develops some larger markeplace
muscle, that might sway some opinion. If Sony-Ericsson were behind
it, with say France-telecom and Fujuitsu, onboard as well, with some
of that marketplace muscle, THAT might make a difference, but with
China, Central, Southern and Southeast Asia up for grabs, who has the
time? And remember, after that market achieves a moderate amount of
stablization in the next phase of economic-industrical development,
there will then be Africa getting up to speed, with South America
already showing signs of becoming a more lucrative marketplace.

I believe there's a word for this. Geopolitics. The truth is, money
talks, quietly in the audible portion of the public spectrum, but
very loudly behind the scenes. The last thing I want to do is to
cause a ruckus, and this TC especially needs to be circumspect about
what it says and what arenas it chooses to enter, but inevitably
there will come a day when this aspect of our shared reality has to
be faced. Unfortunately, while I would once have said that ISO was
the more appropriate forum for taking up this work, but with their
recent adoption of a policy to charge for their Country Codes, it
appears that only OASIS and W3C stand a chance of putting a standard
in place that can achieve the actual purpose of single-sign-on.

Now, having said all that, let me say that there is a back door that
this TC might want to pursue, which would be to balkanize the process
while maintaining a single schema standard for the actual information
required. By that I mean, make a schema-based standard of the
vocabulary required, then immediately start making as many separate,
market/country/region/niche segment standards as there are
constituencies. Start with web services security and incorporate SAML
and XACML within these various standards, making them all virtually
identical, but having so many of them that the major economic blocks
fighting for market dominance will simply have too many separate
little constituencies with which to cost-effectively accommodate or
cope, and each of which can add their own little twists in their own
little standards. the idea is to make it virtually impossible for the
big boys to make any money out of trying to keep up while claiming
that their market group represents the "best" combination of reliable
services in the global marketplace.

In effect, what this does is to make a virtue of what is happening
here in OASIS already, with so many small, focused constituencies
staking out their own territory. At the same time, if this explosion
of small standards is going to eventually lead to some genuine global
consensi for broadly based, royalty free, encompassing standards, it
can, then, actually come about sooner, with too many small targets
for the major multinational corporations to pick off one at a time.

Fighting Darwinism is in itself, not a good strategy for long term
survival and success. Better to use its own processes to thrive.

Ciao,
Rex

--
Rex Brooks