Subject: Re: [egov] The Swedish e-Sign Signature Central

<Quote>
the scramble between the Microsoft Passport community and the Sun
Liberty Alliance community will continue with both saying that they
applaud the principle of a federated certification for
single-sign-on,
</Quote>

Another angle to watch is this one:

(1) WS-Federation
(2) SAML v2.0
(3) Liberty Alliance

SAML v2.0 will concentrate more in the area of Federated Network
Identity, the domain of the Liberty Alliance and WS-Federation (although
WS-Federation is not an open standard). So it appears that SAML and
Liberty Alliance are coming closer together in terms of functionality -
which makes this space quite crowded.

I would look for a merger in this space sometime in the future,
resulting in 2 specifications rather than 3.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Rex Brooks wrote:

> Good idea, Anders,
>
> I am willing to bet that you will not see a single reply against it.
> But it won't happen any time soon, as long as there is any
> significant economic advantage in being the de facto standard in
> practice, as opposed to being simply one of many federated
> Certification Authorities for a globally-recognized standard for
> single sign on, as recognized by US Federal Policy. So until a
> Presidential Mandate or Congressional Act sets this policy in stone,
> the scramble between the Microsoft Passport community and the Sun
> Liberty Alliance community will continue with both saying that they
> applaud the principle of a federated certification for
> single-sign-on, while both communities quietly work to undermine the
> process by achieving that de facto status of installed base
> recognition. The US extolls the so-called"free" marketplace, but
> hasn't shown much backbone lately when it comes to standing up to
> monopolies. However, if the EU develops some larger markeplace
> muscle, that might sway some opinion. If Sony-Ericsson were behind
> it, with say France-telecom and Fujuitsu, onboard as well, with some
> of that marketplace muscle, THAT might make a difference, but with
> China, Central, Southern and Southeast Asia up for grabs, who has the
> time? And remember, after that market achieves a moderate amount of
> stablization in the next phase of economic-industrical development,
> there will then be Africa getting up to speed, with South America
> already showing signs of becoming a more lucrative marketplace.
>
> I believe there's a word for this. Geopolitics. The truth is, money
> talks, quietly in the audible portion of the public spectrum, but
> very loudly behind the scenes. The last thing I want to do is to
> cause a ruckus, and this TC especially needs to be circumspect about
> what it says and what arenas it chooses to enter, but inevitably
> there will come a day when this aspect of our shared reality has to
> be faced. Unfortunately, while I would once have said that ISO was
> the more appropriate forum for taking up this work, but with their
> recent adoption of a policy to charge for their Country Codes, it
> appears that only OASIS and W3C stand a chance of putting a standard
> in place that can achieve the actual purpose of single-sign-on.
>
> Now, having said all that, let me say that there is a back door that
> this TC might want to pursue, which would be to balkanize the process
> while maintaining a single schema standard for the actual information
> required. By that I mean, make a schema-based standard of the
> vocabulary required, then immediately start making as many separate,
> market/country/region/niche segment standards as there are
> constituencies. Start with web services security and incorporate SAML
> and XACML within these various standards, making them all virtually
> identical, but having so many of them that the major economic blocks
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano