Subject: Re: [egov] HUNGARIAN INITIATIVE

John, Ilona, et. al.
The document, although a bit sketchy, brings up a number of core issues that all governments must deal with.

The #1 question is who is responsible for keeping documents when we leave the "paper" world behind.

I may have interpreted the document wrong but it seems that each citizen have an ESZEF (electronic safe) account, associated
with an electronic address.  This is certainly not a bad idea although it will get "competition" from a distributed approach where each authority is responsible for long-time storage as well as on-line access to data associated with the citizen.  The centralized approach raises a number of questions that I could not find answers to such as:
- Who can send to the ESZEF?
- Why would you send from ESZEF?  To whom?
- If e-mail is used, how is confidentiality achived?  Although encrypted mail is theoretically simple, it has proven to be hard.  Therefore few e-goverments seem to rely on e-mail for sensitive messages.
- Who can delete from the ESZEF?

The ESZEF model is document centered, while a distributed system can be any mix between task-centered or document-centered.  Although task steps can be expressed as documents, this is sometimes a bit clumsy.   Assume you want to get an appointment with a doctor and that cannot be given immediately.  The steps could be:
1. Logon to hospital site
2. Request an appointment
3. You get a reply that you will get a notification by e-mail or SMS

   time passes....

4. You get a notification and click on the link that gets you to the hospital site.
5. You are required to login
6. Your appointment suggestion is shown.
7. You sign to confirm that you indeed will come

You can always go back to the hospital to see your act (the hospital is then assumed to be able to keep their data in shape).

The drawback is that information is scattered over many sites.  But will an ESZEF make this any easier?

Maybe the ESZEF could rather be used for keeping e-government notifications and non-critical messages
but without spam and personal messages as nobody but authenticated e-government organizations (servers rather than individuals) using signed mail would be able to add a message?

So yes, I do see a need or use for ESZEF but not as document archive but as a "dedicated and safe receive-only mail-box".

Anders Rundgren
Consultant PKI and e-business

PS Regarding the smart card I have too many questions for this list DS