Subject: RE: [egov] Missing Securty: Update Working Draft for Workflow Standards

Anders, you may want to review the SAML Technical Overview document that
is available on the SAML home page, if you haven't done so already.
There are some use cases there that may satisfy your needs.

> All e-govs are currently investing in proprietary
> signature solutions making inter-agency workflow a local
> matter and definitely not cross-border.
>
> For those who are interested in security it may be
> interesting to know that the PKI pioneered by the US federal
> agencies

Could you perhaps be a bit more specific as to which initiative you are
referring to, as there are multiple inititiatives that may fit this
description?

> is largely incompatible with any kind of workflow
> system server

IMHO, the concepts of security and workflow should be orthagonal to one
another - that is to say that, as I view this, given the current
advanced state of digital security and the world of loose coupling,
there should not be such a roadblock in "marrying" security and
workflow, and there should not be such a strong "dependency" between the
two that such an incompatibility would exist. I would, however, be very
interested to here more details on why your experience shows that this
is the case.

> as a concept that is based on using encryption
> certificates of employees will disable any intermediary
> service like a purchasing system from reading outgoing
> messages.

I envision that use of SAML to present a PKI-based security token could
solve the problem here.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton