Subject: Re: Secure Workflow. Was: [egov] "Dry" and "Wet" signatures - Adefinition

Anders:

I understand your intent better after this email.  My points are:

1.Steps 2 and 3 of your secure workflow below are the only methodology
that should be employed.  One should not presume that any "document"
will never be modified and always perform some type of checksum()
operation before validating a signature.  The signed content should
always be auditable.

2. There is no need to stop at the document level, DSig methodologies
are significantly complex today, even allowing signing of a partial
sub-set of a document.  Therfore, documents can contain both mutable and
immutable content.  Logically, if you only look at a "document" and some
part of it is mutable, you always have to declare the entire document
mutable.  I would advocate migrating from "document" to "content" or
components that make up a document in the thinking.

3. An archive, checksum() implementation that provides a view of any
changes is also preferrable since not all changes to previously signed
content may be deemed to invalidate a signature.  This concept of
legality and material vs. immaterial changes to a contract exists in
many legal jurisdictions.  For example, if you sign a contract then
later change your postal code, that is probably insufficient to
invalidate the entire contract.

Duane