Subject: Re: [ekmi] My slip-up and an update

Hi Arshad,

I don't disagree about the "overloaded" aspect of OO languages,
however if overloading is such a virtue by making for more
compact code then why are we creating so much buggy code?

The thing I see is that documentation of what is being done is
often lacking and when one uses the same command in multiple ways
then it can not be self explanatory. Since programmers have shown
an historical resistance to documenting their code it seems
logical to create command words that are self documenting rather
than count on retrospective documentation.

I'll give you an example that might clarify the size of the issue
of code maintenance in a real world scenario.

About three years ago Yahoo wanted to refresh their authoring for
the web front end and add some new functionality. It had been
written in Python and when that version was to be updated all the
developers who had worked of the original were no longer at the
company. When they looked at the code (and Python is easy to
read!) they found they did not have enough information in the
code to just do a refresh and the Python developers who they had
look at it said, faster to re-write from scratch. Well, they
didn't have enough Python developers on staff and hiring them and
getting them up to speed would stretch it out longer than they
wanted to so they re-wrote the entire authoring system and all
the modules in PHP! Big money costs.

As I understand it using XML with properly chosen command names
is to help with the documentation and maintenance of the code
over time so that a change only has to be made in one place and
it is clear what the command - with attached parameters - does.
Overloading defeats this goal to save what? Clarity?
Documentation needs? File size? Developer time?

I don't think there is enough value gained for the small decrease
in file size of SKSML messages to cut corners by overloading.

Also, pray tell, which dialect of Klingon computerese? Shall I
get together a list of the 100+ current versions in use and then
we can see how crazy a language it is? ;->

Allen

Arshad Noor wrote:
> Allen,
>
> While I don't deny the confusion the English language causes,
> the protocol will be implemented by software developers who
> are most likely already used to Klingon :-).
>
> Consider object-oriented programming languages - every one of
> them has overloaded methods within classes, which are a very
> well understood paradigm.  Far from being confusing, they are
> in fact, considered a strength because it makes code compact
> (so he said as he downloaded the latest version of Linux at
> nearly 3+ GB ;-)).  The SKSML messages are no different from
> over-loaded method calls inside a class file, IMO.
>
> Arshad
>

> Allen wrote:
>> Hi Arshad,
>>
>> It is often best to *not* have the same name mean multiple things.
>>
>> For example: bear. Which am I talking about, the four footed animal or
>> a burden or even meaning to move in the direction of (to bear right)?
>>
>> Then there are words like, there, their, and they're. Written on paper
>> it is easy to see the differences but when speaking a lot of effort
>> and confusion can develop. Homonyms in English and similar confusions
>> make English among the most difficult of languages to achieve fluency in.
>>
>> The more explicit the words chosen are and the less overlap the less
>> the chance of silly, but understandable, coding errors.
>>
>> Given that it is current estimated that ~400,000 bugs of various sorts
>> and severities are being coded into programs currently but only about
>> 50,000 a year are being found and eliminated, we should do our best to
>> chose keyword sets that reduce the likelihood of inadvertent mistakes.
>>
>> Allen Schaaf - CISSP, C|EH, C|HFI, CEI
>> Information Security & Risk Analyst - Business Process Analyst
>> Training & Instructional Designer - Sr. Documentation Developer
>> Certified Network Security Analyst and Intrusion Forensics
>> Investigator - Certified EC-Council Instructor
>>
>> Security is lot like democracy - everyone's for it but
>> few understand that you have to work at it constantly.
>>

>> Arshad Noor wrote:
>>> We could do this.  Under this scheme, there would be three
>>> kinds of SKSML messages (actually 5, but I'm ignoring the
>>> KeyCachePolicy messages for the discussion):
>>>
>>> 1) NewSymkeyRequest (for new symmetric keys)
>>> 2) SymkeyRequest (for existing symmetric keys)