Subject: Re: [election-services] Random key tokens and voting security

Simon,

Just summarizing here what we discussed today between us
on being able to manage remote internet voting in a trusted
way.

There's two ways to go on this - one is using a human operator,
the other is having an electronic mediator.  Either work - I think
I'd prefer the human operator just for touchy-feely reasons and
also to have separation between machine process and the
number issuing - given that a human fraud runs at a much slower
rate (#'s that can be given out per hour!) than machine.  Also
humans can be observed, machines require automated
inspection.

Here's what I see the two looking like - they both follow
the same basic approach

1)  Absentee Voters are sent a mailing that includes
     internet access information and an access code.

2) They use the access code once polling starts to
    obtain a new private vote authentication code.
    (that private code is saved in a special separate
    list - independently - that will be used to
   authenticate votes during counting).

3) They use that second code online to gain access
    to cast a ballot.  Their vote is marked with the
    private code.

OK - here's the supplemental notes between the
human process v machine.

a) the voter telephones call-in center and
    reaches human operator who verifies them
    and their access code from the electoral roll.
    Operator then accesses a completely separate
    system that generates the special private vote
    code - and gives that to caller.  The separate
    system then saves that in the independent list.

b) all online method - voter accesses internet
    system that requests access code and
    random additional info - such as DOB,
    maiden name, place of birth, etc to authenticate.
    System then issues the private vote code, and
    as before - this is separate system - so saved
    to independent list.  Firewall can detect
    unusual IP address activity or other potential
    attacks.

Things to like about b) - no human involvement.
Less organizational overhead.

Things to not like about b) - trust - machine could
store private code against access code without
human knowing.  Collusion could result in thousands
of private codes being added to the approved to
vote list, that are then used for ballot stuffing.
Votes could be 'sold' more easily.

Things to like about a) human involvement (
volunteers get community service hours) and
trust of speaking to someone direct.  Observers
can watch operation.  Can guarantee separation
of verification system and voter access code system.
Harder to call in and spoof.

Things to not like about a) human could call a
friend and give out codes.  Difficult for deaf/dumb
person - they would need a proxy to help them
obtain the code.

Anyway - this is not a decision we need make - since
we can support either approach.

DW