Subject: Re: [election-services] Draft position paper for EAC/NIST UOCAVAworkshop

Hi all,

The draft David distributed is a nice piece of work.  I agree with John
that we should avoid even the appearance of advocating one type of
system over another.  The strength of EML is its comprehensive coverage
of voting data and how they can be represented.  EML, however, is not a
system design and issues such as security, reliability, auditability,
economy, and efficiency are beyond its scope.  With this in mind, there
are two conclusions that appear on the last page that we might reconsider:

         - "Standalone e-Voting not possible; requires separate paper
ballots as well for verification purposes"
         - "EML meets all known election requirements..."

In particular, I suggest we take an agnostic approach with regard to
paper ballots.

Rich