Subject: RE: [election-services] EML V6 - OASIS STANDARD

Joe,

This has always been the policy since forever in OASIS - since whole TC process was started.

Little guys can write the specifications but its not a standard until the bigger fish have actually used it and confirmed it works.

; -)

It actually makes sense too - that you have endorsements - and helps in the member vote to adopt as well.

BTW - we can look at existing member organizations here - to see who could be candidates - there's a lot of US and overseas government orgs.

 http://www.oasis-open.org/about/contributors.php
Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall@berkeley.edu>
Date: Fri, September 10, 2010 9:14 am
To: John Borras <johnaborras@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: Mary McRae <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>, EML TC
<election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>

Mary, could you point to when this piece of OASIS policy was adopted
and any discussion around it? (Maybe this has always been the case and
it wasn't a problem before for EML?) It strikes me that boutique
standards geared towards open government might not be able to meet
this bar given the extreme financial difficulties in that sector.

From TC members, it seems like we could at least get Neal McBurnett
(who uses EML as part of his election audits software) and ES&S to
write statements of use. If we could get the CA SoS office to pony up
the $1k or so (if I read that right, which I doubt), they could
describe their use of EML for publishing election night results. best,
Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
ACCURATE Postdoctoral Research Associate