Subject: CAP Visualization (was RE: CAP Developers' Forum...)

Kon -

The idea of visualizing aggregate CAP traffic is an interesting one.
The <references> and <incidents> fields provide a mechanism for
associating multiple messages in a graph... provided that the
originator provides them, or that some reliable mechanism can be
devised for inferring such relationships after the fact.  As is so
often the case, the holdup appears to be at the input.

(Of course, relationships could be built on the basis of sender,
event category or whatever, but it seems like in most cases the
result would be a simple set that might not be very interesting
visually, except perhaps when displayed geographically.)

As for mapping, I've done a couple of demos plotting CAP location
data over a map... I used an open-source platform called OpenMap that
reads various formats including ESRI shape files, but a commercial
GIS would work as well if not better.  The ComCARE team (in
particular, a company called GeoDecisions out of Pennsylvania) has
also done CAP plots in a web mapping service.

The CAP <polygon> tag, in particular, is derived from GML, so
GML-aware platforms should be able to use it pretty directly...
although extracting the points and constructing a new shape is pretty
easy.  <geocode> values require the use of polygon lookup tables...
easy in the case of well-known areas like ZIP codes or county (FIPS)
boundaries... less so in the case of system-specific zones that may
not be familiar to all recipients.

- Art