Subject: RE: [emix] Do we need reserves?

Toby,

Ancillary Services are defined as products in the CIM and in wholesale markets that I'm aware of.  I don't see what we gain out of this re-definition.  You could make the argument sure, but to what ends?  Does it help?

Sean
________________________________
From: Toby Considine [tobyconsidine@gmail.com] on behalf of Toby Considine [Toby.Considine@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:29 PM
To: emix@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [emix] Do we need reserves?

Ed C and I were comparing notes this afternoon, and it struck me that Reserves are just Options.

Recall that the core EMIX types are Emix, Options, and Resources. All three of them have a  Product as one of their elements. I got to wondering whether Option, whose current definition is that from the CIM, and reserves are the same.

A reserve is a promise to respond  if asked within a certain time frame. If that promise is made by a slow starting generator, then it cannot make that promise unless it is already spinning. Hence the term Spin-Reserve.

An option is a promise to sell a product at a set price, if asked within a period. The CIM option includes a response time to provide the product.

I think that all the reserves are *really* Option Products. The difference between Spinning Reserve, Non-Spinning Reserve, and Operating Reserve is the warranted response  time within the option.  Options currently do not have a start time or duration in our schema. Clearly they must have a scheduled duration, unless they are eternal.

I think options could have their own WS-Calendar sequence, fully scheduled. That sequence could be a single interval. (This generator is spinning reserve for the rest of the day.) It could be a set of intervals. (Weekdays from 11:00 to 6:00 for the next month, this generator promises to respond in 10 minutes to provide 50 MW of power for up to 5 hours) The 50MW of power for up 5 hours is the Product. The Response time is the optionExcerciseLeadTime as defined in the CIM Option we already have. Weekdays from 11:00 to 6:00 for the next month is simply a Sequence.

This approach converts all reserves into classes of options, some for different products…

Please discuss.

tc
________________________________
“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it” -- Upton Sinclair.
________________________________
Toby Considine
TC9, Inc
OASIS Technical Advisory Board
TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar
TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop
U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com<mailto:Toby.Considine@fac.unc.edu>
Phone: (919)619-2104
http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com

The foregoing electronic message, together with any attachments thereto, is confidential and may be legally privileged against disclosure other than to the intended recipient. It is intended solely for the addressee(s) and access to the message by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient of this electronic message, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic message in error, please delete and immediately notify the sender of this error.