Subject: Re: first proposal

on 4 Dec 2000, Norm Walsh wrote:
> David.Leland@ft.com (David Leland) was heard to say:
>>| I submit that the markup language developers are often programmers,

>That has not been true traditionally, although it may be true today (at
>least by percentage or something). However, I have plenty of personal
>experience that suggests that many people who need or want to change
>their catalogs are not programmers.

>I think lowercase-with-hyphens is a good compromise

My full statement on 4 Dec 2000, was this:

"I submit that the markup language developers are often programmers, or at
least used to operating in a work environment that is oriented towards program
and website development."

That statement points at a broader range of people than programmers, who may
feel comfortable with the working methodologies.

I am still of the opinion that camel case, in either version, fits the XML work
environment better than anything else.  TR1999 - Building XHTML Modules uses
alllowercase, which I believe is quite hard to read (isn't it?), so I wouldn't
want to go there.  TR2000 - The XML Schema recommendation does use
lowerCaseCamelSyntax, and serves as a direction-pointer for work such as ours.
On this point, the Element Declaration in TR2000 continues this use of
lowerCaseCamelCase.  On the basis that the TR2000 is the current direction of
specifications, it is beneficial that we use similar syntax.

That being said, TR9401 does use what you recommend, and so if this committee
were to settle on lower-case-with-hyphens, it would harmonise there.  I don't
think it's a good idea to propose a syntax that works against another spec that
already exists.

Comments?

Regards,
David Leland

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> on 12/04/2000 10:53:20 AM
cc:  (bcc: David Leland/LONDON/FINANCIAL TIMES)

/ David.Leland@ft.com (David Leland) was heard to say:
| I submit that the markup language developers are often programmers,

That has not been true traditionally, although it may be true today (at
least by percentage or something). However, I have plenty of personal
experience that suggests that many people who need or want to change
their catalogs are not programmers.

I think lowercase-with-hyphens is a good compromise.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM | What is familiar is what we are used to;
XML Technology Center     | and what we are used to is most difficult
                          | that is, to see as strange, as distant, as
                          | 'outside us'.--Nietzsche

* Please visit the web site of the Financial Times at:              *
*                         http://www.ft.com                         *
* For UK personal finance, please visit http://www.ftyourmoney.com  *
* This E-Mail is intended for the use of the addressee only and may *
* contain confidential information. If you are not the intended     *
* recipient, you are hereby notified that any use or dissemination  *
* of this communication is strictly prohibited.                     *
* If you receive this transmission in error, please notify us       *
* immediately then delete this E-Mail.                              *                                    *
* postmaster@ft.com                                                 *