Subject: Re: Comments on latest draft

/ Rob Lugt <roblugt@elcel.com> was heard to say:
| 2) 6.3.4 says "A system entry matches a system identifier if the system
| identifier is lexically identical to the normalized value of the systemId
| attribute of the entry."  Presumably "normalized" here is a reference to the
| algorithm described in section 6.2.  If so, this could be made clearer.

I'll do that. (Make it clearer, I mean.)

| 3) "6.2 System Identifier and URI Normalization" gives the impression that
| all system Identifiers will be %-escaped before matching with catalog
| entries (that will also be %-escaped).  However, the wording in 6.3.5 and
| 6.3.7 uses the term "identifier begins precisely...".  What does "precisely"
| mean in this context? What normalization, %-escaping et al is brought into
| play here?

Normalization (per 6.2) should also be performed. I'll fix the wording.

| 4)  For the rewriteSystem element, is the systemIdStart string intended to
| be compared with the [%-escaped?] system identifier from the xml document
| being processed,

Yes, the %escaped form.

| or should it be compared to the system identifier after it
| has been absolutized, just like you get from a SAX Entity Resolver

The catalog manager shouldn't do any absolutization of system
identifiers.  The fact that SAX always does absolutization before
calling the entityResolver is (IMHO) a bug.

| 5) 'rewrite' entries just return a string.  I believe you expect the xml
| processor to de-reference this string instead of the original system
| identifier, but within the same context as the original system identifier.
| In other words, relative URIs returned from 'rewrite' entries will be
| resolved relative to the document entity that contained the original system
| identifier.  Is this the intention?

John's right, we don't have this one nailed down yet. Now that you
raise the issue, I think the prefix should probably be a URI reference
and it should be made absolute with the current base URI.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM   | A new scientific truth does not triumph by
XML Standards Engineer | convincing its opponents and making them see