Subject: RE: Of interest to the HM group.

The VHML work is of enormous interest to some of
us working on this project.  A few of us come
from the VRML community and some of our concepts
are very similar to VHML, dealing with high level
languages for animation of human figures (avatars)
and their application to vrml-lit (interactive
fiction) as well as talking head applications
(eg, news sites).

Since the VHML work was reviewed in
phase 0, some feedback and questions for Andrew:

1.  The language is high level, yes?  That is good because
it is easy to learn and apply.

2.  The language could use HumanML information by
transformation or an interface.

3.  We were interested in the conformity of the
VHML models to the H-anim standards given both
the ISO status of VRML and the presence of VRMLies
on this list.

4.  On first and not a very deep analysis, it
seems that the VHML models are convincing but
also western-centric.  A key problem of inter-cultural
communications is that gestures such as smile, nod,
etc. are not universal.  In some cases, a semantic
mapping might be needed to ensure the gesture is
communicating the right message.

We discussed syntax for adding HumanML attribute types to
languages such as VHML.  Given namespaces, that
should be straightforward.   We also discussed
genre-languages that could use languages such as
VHML to create presentations that followed the
genre rules (for example, plot points or schedules
based on necessary events).  We elicited a genre
description from a local news anchor to create
an example of such a presentation.

Another project of interest if the EMOTE work so
it would be good to know if the VHML work has
reviewed that.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.