Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] Actions In Context [was: Re: HumanMarkup: PavedWith Good Intentions]

> [...] the point that I was trying to make was that we should
> reasonably be including some mechanism for changing
> schemata on a per element basis.

XML Schema does have inherent set of constructs for doing such thing:
substituition groups and xsi:type denotations especially, *but* (and this
is a big but) they are syntactically oriented only. This is a weird aspect
of XML Schema, in that it lets one create metasyntactic structures such as
groups of elements, but that it does not underline the semantic consequence
of such things. For example, it may well be that I am grouping a set of
elements under a substitution group to save space in the schema. On the
other hand, it may be that I'm grouping these elements together because
they share common semantics. I think that it's odd for a syntactic language
to have constructs that are so synonymous with denoting semantics of a set
of elements, and yet has minimal documentation as to why this is so, or how
to use it effectively.

That's a murky area of XSD, and I don't like murky areas of technologies.
In any case, I'm expending a little background material there at the cost
of going off topic. To get back to the subject in hand, your xlink:def
attribute is a good idea, but I think you actually mean:-

     <nonEmotiveElement level="35"
        xlink:href="http://www.hml.org/schemas/xyz/percent"
        xlink:role="http://huml.org/#def" />

or you could annotate the instance using a language which shall at this
point remain nameless :-)

> [...] (happy is a verb).

As in "you're to happy today"? :-) "Happify" would be the verb form of the
adjective "happy"!

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer