Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] HMU.newmedia: CREATED

Here is a simple example I bring up to start engaging the HumanML - XML
Schema.

It isn't the most pragmatic example in light of recent events, but I wanted
to start because it is the most straightforward example I have envisioned
HumanML to be applied for.   It's probably the best example to get juices
flowing.  My colleage Mei created a similar example, using ad-hoc HumanML
tags, a few months ago.  However, we could expand this to create a full
fledged example:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/humanmarkup/documents/HMU.newmedia.txt

HMU.newmedia
last updated:  4 November 2001
(example describing how we could use HumanML to convey emotions in New Media
writing)
--------------------

PROBLEM:
-----
I am a writer.  I write stories for a living.  I love my profession, and I
am glad I am able to convey my message and perspectives through the
experiences of the characters in my story.  Unfortunately, however, I feel
very limited in my ability to express myself, due to the limitations of
black and white text.

The World Wide Web has now allowed for much greater possibilites of
expression, mixing sound, graphics, colors, and music in so many ways.  Now,
I can use various colors, fonts, and styles to express my emotions and
expressions much more strikingly and effectively.  However, *how* should I,
or could I, do this?

PROPOSED SOLUTION:
-----
Use Human Markup Language to embed emotions and expressions (i.e. kinesics)
within the text of the message.  Then, create a legend of sorts at the
bottom of the screen, which conveyes what this means.  Based on style
guidelines, new media text could represent far greater pallete of
presentation possibilities of textual information.

This would call for the use of "HumanML - XML Schema" and  "HumanML - Style
Guidelines"

Feel free to take it from here...

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga