Subject: [huml] Re: [humanorg] JL-edits of the paper attached.(was:Presentation

Hi James,

I appreciate your intent and thank you for it. However, I think that
perhaps not having the actual portal to see, it may not connect for
you. Regardless, while I may be wrong, under the current
circumstances, I don't think I have the time to rework the paper as
extensively as it appears you are suggesting. I certainly don't have
the time to stop everything right now and go through your suggestion
in detail. Because I get my mail on the Mac, I can't even look at
your minor changes until later. However, for now, let's postpone that
decision with an interim decision to proceed on the assumption that I
don't have the time, especially with several sections unwritten as
yet. However, I will look at the reshuffling suggestion when I can
and make a more considered and reasoned decision later.

Could you Outline the rearrangement for me? I see things better that
way or in diagrams than in descriptions.

Right now, at least, I don't have the time to go over your
suggestion. That is largely due to the fact that I have to devote the
remainder of the day on programming details to get the metaphorical
plumbing working. One decision about how to adjust this project to
one factor always seems to throw something else out of kilter, and I
am just not capable of switching back and forth from writing to
programming, or figuring out how the web services processes of
servers, servlets and small application programs should work versus
how it seems to, or not as the case may be.

I'm not rejecting the idea out of hand, just postponing a decision to
a more appropriate moment, and asking that you understand if it
proves impractical.

As for the paper addressing the specifics, to be honest, I see that
as the job of the Portal itself, to illustrate the tangible product
of the collaborations involved. The paper does need to address
specifics, as you say, but the specifics are much less HumanMarkup
per se than the whole. Some emphasis on HumanML and HPCDML is
required, but too much runs a risk of alienating the partners we want
to recruit. The paper, as a supporting document, is, however, a
chance for us to do what I think you have done quite well, which is
to demonstrate our grounding in existing work and our plans for
moving forward, in step with the academic as well as business worlds.

Last note, a proof of concept like this precedes a pilot project. We
are, in fact, doing the leg work to get funding for the pilot
project, which would be an assessment of the costs and benefits of
producing the actual portal.

The chances are quite, good actually, that if what is needed to
improve the paper is restructuring and doesn't require rewriting,
which I know I don't have the time to do, then, once the presentation
and the portal are pretty much put to bed, and it turns out that
there is time to do it without making me or us crazy, I'll be more
than happy to do it.