Subject: Re: [kmip] Groups - Proposal for modification to Conformance Section (Conformance_Clause_Proposal_V3.doc) uploaded

Hi Bruce,

  Yes, that's for the TC to decide. I'm not aware of an existing TC that has ever taken that position (that creation of a profile is out of scope) but it's up to the participants. As far as time commitments go, again, there is no 'required' membership; members are free to join/leave as appropriate. Of course those employers that are paying employees to sit on committees might have a different opinion ;)

Regards,

Mary

On Jul 16, 2009, at 3:20 PM, Bruce Rich wrote:

Mary,

Thanks for the clarification.  In doing a quick re-read of our charter, it seems that it is quiet on the topic of profiles, so it's unclear whether this is expanding the scope of work or not.  Minimally. profile governance work may extend the anticipated time commitments of some of the TC members.

Bruce A Rich
brich at-sign us dot ibm dot com

From: Mary McRae <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
To: Bruce Rich/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
Cc: walt.hubis@lsi.com, kmip@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 07/16/2009 11:25 AM

Hi Bruce,

  That's not quite true. A TC doesn't cease its work until it has either agreed to dissolve or until it finishes the work items described in the Charter. Most TCs continue to update that list of work items as time processes and further refinements/enhancements/additions/modifications/etc are deemed appropriate. The only thing a TC cannot do is expand its scope of work. Most TCs produce multiple iterations of a spec (v1.0, v1.1, v.1.2, v2.0), profiles, and other ancillary works in support of the specs themselves.

Regards,

Mary

Mary P McRae
Director, Standards Development
Technical Committee Administrator
email: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org
web: www.oasis-open.org
twitter: fiberartisan  #oasisopen
phone: 1.603.232.9090

Standards are like parachutes: they work best when they're open.