Subject: RE: [kmip] Broader View of Conformance

Steve, you may be in the minority, but I'm inclined to agree with you.  The required commonality among implementations could come down to this, in a minimalist view:

- Common protocols so that all clients and servers know how to send and receive messages to each other.
- Messages that allow a client to query a server to see if it supports features that client wants to use.

(of course, if we expand to cover server-to-server that second point would also apply there.)

I really don't see the scenario where a client tries to use a server that is not intended for its use.  Why would my client device be expecting a given server to provide it keys or other responses if that server was not intended for use in that application?  This is not all that much different from SSL, where one party can see if the other supports any ciphersuite from an acceptable set - and if not, the first party can choose not to talk to that server.

Todd W. Arnold, STSM
IBM Cryptographic Technology Development
(704) 594-8253   FAX 594-8336
email:  arnoldt@us.ibm.com

From: "Wierenga, Steven" <steve.wierenga@hp.com>
To: Bruce Rich/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, "Jay.Jacobs" <Jay.Jacobs@target.com>
Cc: "kmip@lists.oasis-open.org" <kmip@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Fitzgerald, Indra" <indra.fitzgerald@hp.com>
Date: 08/26/2009 12:45 AM

Bruce, Jay,
I could be in a small minority here, but I believe the sole minimum/base requirement for client-server interoperability should be a common messaging protocol, without requiring any specific cryptographic operations, objects, or attributes.  Any particular subset of algorithms, operations, stuctures, and metadata will apply in a particular usage domain, but not others.  And, accepted cryptographic algorithms and key sizes will change over time.

If clients can be guaranteed of some minimum server communication and "query server" capabilities (perhaps at the level of ,what are the other server-supported profiles), they can easily determine whether server support for the client's intended use cases is available.  But, if common baseline messaging and server query are not mandated in the base profile, then even this level of interop is not guaranteed.

Regards,
Steve Wierenga
HP