Subject: RE: GetCaseList

Sure.  They may or may not be logical from a system designer’s perspective but sometimes that does not matter when it comes to long standing business processes or other constraints.  I seem to recall a few scenarios that were due to accommodating a limitation in a prior case management system which led to tentacles into other systems that then carries over to a new CMS.  In most cases, the data conversion to the new system provides an opportunity to rectify things but then again you sometimes hear “we can’t change the number because that number is all over the documents”.  In that scenario it is likely that no NEW duplicate case numbers would be created, but would remain in the legacy data.  Anyway, as I said, we make accommodations for this reality in our implementation as a fail-safe.

Philip Baughman
Senior Software Engineering Manager, eSolutions
P: 972.713.3770 ext: 113406

From: Chatz, John [mailto:John.Chatz@perspecta.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 11:56 AM
To: Baughman, Philip <Philip.Baughman@tylertech.com>; James E Cabral <jec@mtgmc.com>; Othon, Enrique <Enrique.Othon@tylertech.com>; legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org

Can you explain what you mean when you say the “case number is not unique in some jurisdictions?” When would a case number not be unique or singularly identifiable?

John Chatz

Justice and Public Safety Offerings Lead

Phone:  +1  847-609-7772

eMail:   john.chatz@perspecta.com

perspecta_logo_tm_0

Although it is rare, the case number is not unique in some jurisdictions.  For this reason, we use (and allow for) a separate identity for uniquely identifying a case.