Subject: Re: [legalxml-econtracts] Clause Structure applied to Benchmark Contract

Hi John

John McClure wrote:

>Jason,
>Here you go - I have attached what you've requested: both an HTML version with
>embedded CSS styling, and a LegalXML version to which is related the attached
>CSS stylesheet file.

Thanks for doing this so quickly.

>Hanging indents seemed easy to me -- tell me if I've done it correctly in the
>LegalXML version.

I think there's some confusion in our terminology here.  If you refer
back to the html page on findlaw, it's the formatting in 6.4(d)(i) that
I'm talking about.

In IE 6, your 6.4(d)(i) wraps the text at the end of the line so that it
is flush left with the number (i), rather than indenting all the text
off to the right of the number.

It is possible to get it more right (but perfect, i'm not sure?), in
some browsers at least...  Would you mind having another look at that?

This is important, because this kind of presentation apppears in a great
many contracts, often right up to the "Article" level.

> The
>2 versions under Mozilla have layout problems -- it appears that its rendering
>engine is still screwed up. Anyway, I'd be interested to know how the 2 versions
>looks in other browsers, and on Apple if someone has one.

Once you've had a crack at this, I'll check how it looks in various
versions of IE, Netscape, and some of the Mac browsers.

>Good exercise. Didn't do any markup other than the structural elements, but
>those "semantic" items would be pretty simple to add as we go forward.

I'll remove the cross-ref, party and definition markup from my XML, and,
if you don't mind, the Page, PageBody, and RunningBody container as well
as Header and Footer elements from yours, and  then we'll be able to
compare the core representations.

cheers,

Jason