Subject: RE: [legalxml-enotary] Re: Draft minutes of the First Meeting

I have asked others in my office (Superior Court Clerk) of any processes involving notarizations that are evident in court filings, particularly instances where our business process depends on there being a notarization. The answer was that in processing Satisfactions of Judgment we must see a notarization statement and stamp and, technically at least, the language used is to include an acknowledgement. If the notarization is absent, the document is rejected and returned to the filer with a $15 fee assessed. That indicates that the Clerk's business process depends on the notarization of the Satisfaction of Judgment and that a Judgment cannot be satisfied without it.

(The fee is what is called the "Faulty Document Fee," assessed by the Clerk in instances where an error made it impossible for the Clerk to process the matter and the error was not something the Clerk could correct, such as a number transposition error in the case number. The rationale for the fee was that it would be of educational and corrective value for the filer and that it would pay, at least in part, for the costs incurred in detecting and dealing with the fee. It's not a huge money maker, but it is a helpful tool.)

It is interesting to note that this might be one of just a few processes involving notarization as a required element in a court filing. While litigants file many documents that may have been notarized, the presence or absence of the notarization is not necessarily an issue in the document and case management processes.

One person said she believes that in previous years it was common for any sort of Declaration to be notarized, but that has largely been supplanted by the practice of inserting language to the effect of, "Signed under penalty of perjury...".

I have asked for examples of Satisfaction of Judgment documents from our imaged cases and when I have those I'll forward PDF format copies to show what they look like.

I hope this is helpful as one of the needed "scenarios."

Regards,

Roger

Roger Winters

Electronic Court Records Manager