legalxml-ms message

Subject: RE: [legalxml-ms] Story on call for standards for e-discovery

Chet and Tony,

Thanks for forwarding on this information - I think most of us had not seen it.  As you probably know, the OASIS staff and LegalXML Steering Committee have been in discussions with EDRM about bringing their XML effort into LegalXML at the appropriate time.  I have also been reaching out to ABA S&T committee to encourage their return to OASIS and participation in LegalXML in several areas including e-discovery.  While current membership includes expertise in courts, legal documents, legal rules and (to some extent) information security, to be successful in any effort related to e-discovery, I'm confident we would need increased participation in LegalXML by attorneys and industry that directly support this area.  We would appreciate any suggestions you might have in  how we might recruit e-discovery subject matter experts to our cause.

  Thanks,

Jim Cabral
MTG Management Consultants, L.L.C.
www.mtgmc.com
(206) 442-5010 Phone
(502) 509-4532 Mobile

Helping our clients make a difference in the lives of the people they serve.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

-----Original Message-----
From: legalxml-ms@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:legalxml-ms@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Tony Rutkowski
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 4:56 PM
To: Chet Ensign
Cc: legalxml-ms@lists.oasis-open.org; Carol Geyer

Hi Chet,

This is a very useful development.

There are three particularly valuable characteristics of OASIS work and specifications compared to traditional ISO work: the work is open; the standards are freely available, the specifications consist of structured expressions that can be made "measurable."

Where there is potentially enormous synergy is with the massive "making security measurable" initiative originating for the USGOV security community that consists of an SCAP (Security Content Automation
Protocol) suite of specifications that is now moving under the aegis of a new IETF group knows as SACM.
I've imported many of these platforms into my ITU-T cybersecurity group as best of breed platforms, and have been trying to insert them into my ETSI TC LI work.

The developer community event website can be found at http://scap.nist.gov/events/index.html

An ideal positioning for OASIS and the LegalXML group in particular, would be to coin a new concept of "making eDiscovery measureable" and leverage the enormous amount of SCAP community work

best,
tony