ocpp message

Subject: Re: [ocpp] NTP Time service configuration - standard configuration variables

Hi Brendan (All),

Thanks for the clear explanation..
I totally agree.

On the point of HeartBeat... If we drop the support for SOAP, we might not need HeartBeat anymore, or less, only sync clock on a non NTP/Realtime Clock Charge Point...  Then I think we might rename the message to match the functionality: SyncClock or something like that..

Kind regards,
Robert de Leeuw

IHomer
Hoge Ham 85
5104 JC Dongen

John F. Kennedylaan 3
5555 XC Valkenswaard

T: +31 6 2857 2123
E: robert.de.leeuw@ihomer.nl

Hi Robert, Anders, (all),

I would think that the type of scenario that Anders describes will become quite common in the future, and therefore appropriate configuration variables should be standardized as part of OCPP 2.0, along the lines of Anders suggestions.

When OCPP was first being designed, as a SOAP based protocol requiring bi-directional IP routability, it was the normal case for it to be carried over a private (mobile) network, so access to common (public) NTP services could not be presumed.

Now, with the capability of OCPP to operate (tunnelling  bi-directionally) over a client (charge point) initiated WebSocket (and possibly other transports), it is much more likely that charge points will be connected to the public internet, and consequently have access to reliable, high quality NTP services.

For small/simple “low-end” charge point devices, the cost of implementing a full local real-time clock hardware is not insignificant, and it is likely in future that there will be charge point designs (for at least certain applications) that are effectively un-usable without a live internet connection (e.g. via local Wi-Fi).

In such cases, it make more sense for the device to treat date/time synchronization information from NTP as preferable to the “traditional” OCPP mechanism of time synchronization via Central System timestamps returned in “Heartbeat” messages.

In that case, the “currentTime” value in the Heartbeat.conf message should be made optional, so that if configured to get “correct” time from elsewhere, there is no possibility of the charge point being confused by receiving alternating  conflicting “real” time updates.

On a separate but related point, it is arguable that Heartbeat messages themselves (which can often be a large percentage of total data traffic for occasionally used charge points) are potentially redundant when OCPP is “tunnelled” over an underlying transport mechanism that has its own keep-alive and connection loss detection mechanisms.

Best Regards,

Brendan McMahon | Systems Architect | ESB ecars | T: +353 1 702 6708 / +353 87 662 2150 | www.esb.ie